Visit my new blog for updates

Visit my new blog for updates Kosher Kitchen

Monday, March 5, 2012

Sweet Potato Burgers

I am constantly in search of new recipes to try and I came upon this one for Sweet Potato Veggie Burgers on Pinterest.  Now, there are two foods that I have been obsessed with over the past year or so...sweet potato and avocados.  Put them both in a recipe?  I'll make it next chance I get!

I adapted the recipe a slight bit.  The original recipe says it makes "7-8 large patties".  That just sounded like too much since there are only two of us, so I adjusted a bit and only used 1 can of cannelini beans and although it says "1 large sweet potato (about 2 cups)" I used one medium-large potato which seemed to yield a little over a cup.  The rest of the ingredients I halved as well (for the flour I eyeballed half of my 1/4 cup).

The rolls we bought were very large wheat ones, so I tried to make the patties the size of the rolls.  What I ended up with was one large patty, one extra large patty, and one small patty with what was left in the bowl.  I also was making this after work, so to "bake" the sweet potato I put it in the microwave for 4 1/2 minutes, then let it cool enough to peel.  When I went to cook the patties, they ended up burning a little bit on the first side (I then turned the high heat down a bit when I flipped them).  I honestly don't know how long it ended up cooking for in the end.  But thankfully no ingredients needed to be cooked to be eaten, so I wasn't worried about undercooking it.

The last obstacle I ran into was that I didn't have a masher (guess who needs to make a run to Bed Bath and Beyond??!!).  I used a serving fork to mash the ingredients  The only problem with this was that some of the beans didn't get fully mashed, but I did the best that I could...






Sweet Potato Burgers slightly adapted from the Happy Healthy Life vegan blog

 Ingredients
1 can cannellini white beans, drained
1 medium-large sweet potato, baked/peeled/mashed
1 Tbsp tahini
1 tsp agave syrup
1/2 tsp Cajun seasoning
1/8 cup wheat flour
optional: additional seasoning - I used a little salt and a little pepper

Panko crumbs
vegetable oil for pan
Whole wheat rolls.  
 Toppings - avocado, tomato, Dijon mustard

Directions
Bake sweet potato. Peel, place in large mixing bowl.
Add drained beans to mixing bowl. Mash beans and potatotogether.
Mash in seasoning, flour and any additional seasoning.Your mixture will be quite soft and moist. But you should be able to form apatty. Add more flour or a scoop of breadcrumbs - or dry rice to thicken themixture if needed.
Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a pan over high heat.
Form a patty from mixture and coat in Panko crumbs.Thick coating. Then drop the patty in the pan. Repeat until the pan is filled.Cook until browned on both sides.
Transfer cooked patties to paper towel. Cool for a fewminutes.
Serve on bun with toppings of choice.

**Note from original recipe: yes this patty does fall kind of apart as you eatit. But that is OK because it tastes yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment