Visit my new blog for updates

Visit my new blog for updates Kosher Kitchen

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Eggplant Lasagna

I've never been a big vegetable eater (much to my husband's dismay).  Eggplant had always been on my "I know I don't like it, even though I don't think I've ever tried it" list until I was at a party a few months ago and tried some eggplant parm and liked it.  Then about a month ago I ordered eggplant rollatini and LOVED it.  So, when we were coming up with what to make for dinner a few weeks ago, I searched for eggplant lasagna.  Not the kind that substitutes eggplant for the noodles, but uses it as a filling, and I came across this one.

My only complaint about this is that it says the total time is 1 hour, 10 min.  This might be the case if you start with sliced eggplant, chopped onions, etc, but I'd say it took me a good 45 minutes just slicing, chopping and prepping to make this.  In addition, "quickly brown"ing the 1 1/2 pound of eggplant wasn't done as "quickly" as it sounds!

You can tell by comparing my picture and the one from the original recipe, mine didn't seem to have as much cheesiness to it (though I used exactly how much the recipe called for).  Maybe next time I'll add extra mozzarella and sauce to the top layer.  I should also spread out the layers more so everything is even.

In general, it was very simple to make and it tasted delicious.  And between the eggplant and mushrooms, it gave me a good serving of veggies.




Eggplant Lasagna

Ingredients

1 1/2 pounds eggplant, thinly sliced

vegetable spray

2 tablespoons olive oil

1/2 cup chopped onion

16 ounces sliced mushrooms

9 lasagna noodles

1 jar (16 ounces) spaghetti sauce with vegetables

8 ounces ricotta cheese, part-skim

4 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese

 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

 

Directions 

In large nonstick skillet sprayed with vegetable spray, quickly brown eggplant slices; set aside.

In the same skillet in hot olive oil, cook onion for about 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until tender.

Add mushrooms; cook, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes or until mushrooms are tender.

Cook lasagna noodles in boiling salted water according to package directions.

Into an 11x7-inch baking dish, spoon about 1/4 of the sauce.

Arrange three alternate layers of lasagna noodles, ricotta, mushroom mixture, mozzarella cheese, eggplant slices, sauce and Parmesan cheese.

Bake eggplant lasagna at 350° for 30 to 40 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment