Visit my new blog for updates

Visit my new blog for updates Kosher Kitchen

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Roasted Brussels Sprouts

Brussels sprouts - yes, those things that you made the face about as a child and still KNOW you don't like even though you've never actually tasted them - they are one of my new favorite foods.  I have to admit, that was me, too, until I tried this recipe at my husband's request.  Brussels sprouts can actually be delicious if cooked the right way (then again, pour enough butter over anything and I'll think it's yummy!).

My husband and I bought the book "Just Married and Cooking" by Brooke Parkhurst and James Briscione shortly before our wedding. We have made a few of their recipes (their spinach and artichoke dip is to die for!) and a few weeks ago was looking for ideas for a side dish.  I was a little hesitant about the Brussels sprouts, but when my husband asked if we could make it, I decided to go for it.  We've now made them twice and I would probably eat them every day if I could.  It is so simple to make.  You chop, mix, roast (I clean the bowl while they are in the oven so I can use it again after), heat up the butter, mix it up, zest a lemon, and toss everything together.  Honestly, it takes very little prep time.  While making a new recipe there's usually a point where I 'm convinced I messed up and ruined the whole thing.  This didn't happen at all with this recipe, it's that easy!










Roasted Brussels Sprouts (from Brooke Parkhurst and James Briscione)

Ingredients
1 pound Brussels sprouts, cut in half
1 cup minced yellow onion
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
koster salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup sliced almonds
grated zest of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese (I use the jarred kind)


Directions
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.

Combine the Brussels sprouts, onion, garlic, and olive oil in a large bowl.  Toss well and season with salt and pepper.  Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast until tender and lightly browned on the edges, about 15 minutes.  Transfer to a large bowl.

Melt the butter in a small saute pan over high heat until it begins to brown.  Remove from the heat and stir in the almonds to toast lightly.  Pour the butter and almonds into the bowl with the Brussels sprouts.  Add the lemon zest and Parmesan and toss to coat.  Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.  Cover to keep warm until ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment