Visit my new blog for updates

Visit my new blog for updates Kosher Kitchen

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Geshmearta Matzo

I remember my father making Geshmearta matzo ever year for Passover.  This recipe was created (so I'm told) by my great-aunt.  While I was never a huge fan of cottage cheese, I always looked forward to eating this treat every year.  When I moved out on my own I started making it myself and continue to whip up a batch every Passover.  Even my husband who doesn't like sour cream thinks this is tasty!  I eat it for breakfast or as a snack.

I make it on plain matzo, but you can vary it up with whole wheat or egg matzo and I'm sure it'll still come out well.  The amount of matzos this makes will vary by what brand you use.  The original recipe says it makes 11 matzos, meanwhile with the shrinking Manichewitz matzo, I made about 16 pieces.  I scoop 3-4 spoonfuls of the mixture onto the matzo and spread it out leaving a little bit clear around the edges.





Geshmearta Matzo

¼ lb butter (1 stick), melted
3lb cottage cheese (I use 2lbs small curd, 1lb large)
4 eggs
½ pt sour cream
¾ c sugar
Matzo meal
Cinnamon to sprinkle

Mix first five ingredients in a large bowl.  Add enough matzo meal to make it a good “shearing consistency” (I used about ¾ cup at first, then sprinkled a little more in a few batches in).  Schmear onto whole pieces of matzo, sprinkle cinnamon on top

Bake for 30 min (or until edges are brownish) on ungreased baking sheets at 350.

No comments:

Post a Comment